Do you know that there are countless of low carb crock pot recipes with different twist and different styles? If you think that there is only one style of crock pot recipe, then you are hugely mistaken. There are actually so many types and styles of the low carb crock pot express recipes, so this one would use chicken with garlic herb butter as the main seasoning.
This American dinner recipe is super easy to make. Don’t be fooled by the professional-look-alike result as it only takes around 15 minutes of preparation. And the slow cooker is truly your reliable best friend that will transform the chicken into a juicy dish that everyone loves!
- 1 ½ lbs of whole chicken
- 12 sprigs of divided fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs of divided fresh rosemary
- A big yellow onion. You should cut it into thick and big slices
- A head of garlic (consisting of 4 minced cloves, while remaining ones are kept whole and only peeled)
- 6 tablespoons of softened butter
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon of blackpepper
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- Make sure to remove the leaves first from half the thyme and half the rosemary. And then set aside the remaining whole sprigs. Then you can chop the rosemary in a fine texture
- Mix together 4 cloves of minced garlic, butter, chopped thyme and also chopped rosemary, salt, chopped parsley, pepper, and paprika in a small bowl. Set it aside.
- Pat the chicken with paper towels so it should be very dry – it should be dry out and inside. It needs to be done so the herb butter will stick better. Don’t rinse the chicken for food safety reason.
- Grease the bottom side of the Crock Pot slow cooker with butter. Make sure to have a generous amount to grease it. Then, place the onion pieces on the inside – it will help keep the entire chicken raised. Then place the chicken (with the breast side up) on top of the onions.
- Check for the cavity side of the chicken. Once you have found it, insert your hands gently underneath the skin. The idea is to separate the meat from the skin, which includes the legs, thighs, and breast. Do it carefully as you don’t want to tear the skin.
- Then, rub the half of the garlic herb butter underneath the skin. By using your hands, do it all over. Then, the remaining butter should be over the top as well as the side of the chicken.
- Stuff the remaining 2 whole rosemary sprigs, the remaining whole garlic cloves (around 6 cloves), and the remaining 6 while thyme sprigs within the chicken cavity.
- By using a kitchen twine, tie the legs. If it is possible, you can reposition the onions and chickens, so the chicken will remain on the top of the onions
- Cover the Crock Pot slow cooker and then cook it on high for 3 hours (or 5 hours, max).
- When it is done, you can remove the onions but let the liquid stay. It is handy as chicken broth.
- You want to make sure that the butter is super soft because it would make it easier for the spread. If it isn’t soft, soften it by placing it on a small bowl. Then have another bowl with warm water. Place the first small bowl on the second one for a while.
- This low carb crock pot recipes may take a while for the cooking but it is worth the wait.