Do you know how to cook Acorn Squash in two versions without compromising its simplicity? Yes, you can actually make two versions of the squash: the savory and the sweet. Acorn squash is pretty versatile. This fall dish can be a great accompaniment to any dish that you like – and it can be consumed on its own. It is also a pretty healthy dish because you don’t fry it. You use the oven to bake it.
The Savory Version
- An acorn squash
- A tablespoon of olive oil
- Pepper, just for the taste
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt. You can have more to taste
The Sweet Version
- One acorn squash
- A tablespoon of butter
- A tablespoon of brown sugar. You can have more to taste. If you dont have brown sugar, you can substitute it with coconut sugar.
- The initial work on how to cook Acorn Squash is to prepare the oven. Place the rack in the middle position.
- Preheat it to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Line the baking sheet by using parchment paper
- Peel the squash and wash it. Then cut it in half, starting from the stem and then to the bottom side.
- Don’t cut through the steam. When you have reached the steam, simply crack it open in a half and it will be separated right away
- Remove the stringy bits and the seeds by scraping them out.
- Prepare the squash. If you are making the savory type, use the olive oil to rub the inside part of the squash. Then sprinkle it with pepper and salt. If you are making the sweet type, use the melted butter to rub the inside. Then sprinkle with coconut sugar or the brown sugar.
- Then place them on the baking sheet
- Place the squash and let them roast for around 50 minutes – 60 minutes, You can also try to poke the squash. If it is very tender, then it is ready
- You can immediately serve it. If you want to store them, make sure to keep them in a covered container. It can last for3 to 4 days.
- Always wash the squash
- If you want to make the cutting process easier, you can microwave the squash first. Put the whole squash in the microwave. Let it for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove it from the microwave. When it is cool, slice it. You will find out that it is easier to do.
- There are other alternatives if you want to create different taste. If you want to make sweet squash, you can sprinkle it with cinnamon, substitute the brown sugar with maple syrup, or add nutmeg and cinnamon for the rub. If you want to make the savory squash, you can add smoked paprika, chili powder, or add Parmesan cheese, basil, and oregano for the Italian twist. If you want to create spicy and sweet variant, go with the instructions to make the sweet version, but add a little cayenne and cinnamon.
As you can see, making two versions of dish from a single ingredient can be super simple and easy. And you can also enjoy the healthy and tasty result once you know how to cook Acorn Squash correctly.