If you are familiar with the ways of how to cook pork belly, you’d know that basic and simple seasoning can actually result in such tasty and rich flavor of the pork belly. The total cooking time would be quite long (10 minutes prep time and 2 hours 45 minutes cooking time), but it is worth the wait. A portion can yield in 6 generous servings. In the end, you won’t mind having to wait for such a long time if the result is mouthwatering and super delicious.
- A dash of ground black pepper. Choose the fresh one
- A dash of Kosher salt
- One or two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds of pork belly (with skin, if possible)
- The first thing on how to cook pork belly is to gather around the ingredients
- Heat up the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- By using a sharp knife, you need to make some parallel cuts on the pork belly. It should be done across the pork belly’s skin. Make sure that you cut through the fat and skin, but NOT through the meat. The cuts can be done ¼ inch apart.
- You can use the black pepper and Kosher salt to rub them over the pork. After you are done, drizzle the pork with olive oil. Again, rub it so it will be absorbed into the skin.
- When you place the pork, do it with the skin side up. Place it on a rack within the baking pan
- Let it roast for 2 hours, or 2.5 hours, max. You can also check whether the meat has fallen apart and it has turned tender. Increase the heat, up to 425 degree Fahrenheit and then continue roasting for an extra of 20 minutes so the skin would be crispy.
- Remove the pork and let it for 10 minutes. Afterwards, you can start slicing
- Use the cuts (which you have made previously on the skin) as guide so you can slice thinly.
- Your pork belly is ready to serve!
- If you want to cook it, let it sit in the fridge first. Uncover it and let it be for 4 hours (inside the fridge) before the cooking. This action will dry the skin. You can enjoy the crisp and the crackle later
- It is better to score a cold pork belly because it is easier to slice or cut
- Don’t change the temperature from the beginning. Only increase it when it is about to finish cooking. Just follow the instruction and you will get super tasty and tender pork belly with crispy skin
- It does take a long time for the pork to cook but it will make the meat tender and juicy
- This pork belly is the best accompaniment for scalloped potatoes, mac and cheese, black-eyed peas, and beans. But feel free to have it just like that. The simple and basic seasoning is delicious enough to enjoy the meat as it is.
It’s pretty easy to make this one, right? Now that you know how to cook pork belly, you only need to be patient while waiting.