If you want something crispy, and you are into potatoes, then knowing how to make hash browns would be the best thing to do. You will like the fact that this dish is pretty versatile. You can enjoy it for dinner, but feel free to have it for breakfast too.
This American breakfast is quite fulfilling – not to mention that it is also a great source of energy from the carbs. This recipe is for making crispy has browns, but if you prefer the rather soggy one, you can add the liquid. This recipe alone is enough to make 4 satisfying portion.
- ¼ cup of virgin olive oil. Choose the extra one to make it healthier
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- One pound of Russet potatoes. It is around 2 medium ones. You can feel them first if you want to.
- You need to scrub the potatoes first on how to make hash browns. Make sure that they are clean. Peeling them is also possible. Then grate those potatoes with a cheese grater with big holes. By using a sieve with a fine mesh, rise the (already grated) potatoes will. Make sure that the water is clear first before you set it aside.
- Drain it well and then place it on the clean towel. If you don’t have it, you can use paper towels. Use several of them. But make sure that you can twist it so you can remove the moisture.
- Transfer the potato into a bowl. Add onion powder, garlic powder, and salt and bring it to a preferred taste.
- By using a big skillet, add the olive oil and warm it with medium heat. Wait until it shimmers. It is ready when it sizzles when you add the grated potato on it. Spread the potato within an even layer. By using a spatula, press it down.
- Let it be for 2 minutes of cooking
- Stir it. And then press it again. Let it cook for another 2 minutes.
- Repeat the process within 2-minutes interval. You need to flip them until they are crispy. The potato should turn crispy and golden brown. It takes around 4 minutes to 8 minutes, max.
- On the meantime, use some paper towels in layers to line the plate. They will absorb the (excess) oil. Place the plate close to the stove.
- Remove the crispy hash browns from the pan to the plate. Let it drain for one minute.
- You can add some salt if you want the extra seasoning. Serve it while hot.
- To make sure that the potato is drained properly or it is dry enough, you may need to do two batches of twisting the towel (or paper towels) to remove the excess moisture.
- Make sure to rinse and dry the potato so you can remove the excess starch. It will help with the perfect crispiness.
- Don’t forget that your skillet would be super hot. So when you have to cook the potato in batches, they will likely cook faster. You want to pay attention to the proper way of cooking and the time management.
It’s not difficult, right? If you know how to make hash browns, the result can be perfect.