If you are into Teriyaki sauce, and you want to know how to make Teriyaki sauce with original Japanese style, then this is the best time to do so. Such a sauce is just ideal with different kinds of meals and dishes. And when you can make your own homemade sauce, it is just superb.
Do you know that you can make a Teriyaki Sauce with only 4 ingredients? Once you have learned the details of how to make Teriyaki sauce, then you can make your own sauce that would be just ideal with all kinds of dishes. With this authentic Japanese style recipe, you can create your own versatile, savory, and sweet sauce that would be ideal for meatballs, pork, tofu, salmon, and chicken.
Teriyaki is actually a cooking method. Teri is luster while yaki is broiled, grilled, or pan-fried. It refers to the method on how the food is prepared and not the sauce. In short, teriyaki refers to any food with pan-fried or grilled method and served with shining glaze. This actually makes sense because the result of everything with teriyaki sauce is always shiny.
- ½ cup of soy sauce. It is around 8 tablespoons of 120 ml. You may choose the Gluten Free kind.
- ½ cup of sake
- ½ cup of Mirin
- ¼ cup of sugar. It is around 4 tablespoons or 60 ml
- Collect all the ingredients together.
- By using a saucepan, mix all the ingredients together. Then, add Mirin and sake
- Then add sugar and soy sauce
- Let the mixture to boil. You need to stir the mix continuously until the sugar dissolves. When it boils, lower the heat. Use the medium low instead.
- Let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, max. Or do it until the sauce gets thick
- When you tilt the saucepan or mix the sauce together, you will see small bubbles to appear. This is the sign that the sauce is ready
- Pour it to a jar (use the sterilized one) and keep it open. Let it open until the sauce cools down.
- As the sauce cools, it will be thick.
- Once it cools down, you can store the sauce in the refrigerator. It can be used for 2 to 3 weeks.
- In the event you can’t use sake, you can substitute it with ½ cup of water. If you can consume alcohol, then Chinese rice wine or ½ cup of dry sherry would be the best option.
- If you want to substitute Mirin, you can mix ¼ cup of water with 3 tablespoons of sugar, and ¼ cup of sake, if you have sake. If you don’t have any sake, you can mix 3 tablespoons of sugar with ½ cup of water
- If you don’t want to make a whole recipe, you can make a half with ¼ cup of each Mirin, sake, soy sauce, and 1/8 cup of sugar.
- You can combine the sauce with Chicken Quesadilla, Pork Loin Donburi, Butter Shoyu Chicken, Steak Rolls, Chicken Meatballs, Beef, Salmon, Burger, and Chicken.
As you can see, knowing how to make Teriyaki sauce can be quite handy for your cooking enjoyment, right?