If you are into sweet dish for your breakfast and you want to enjoy a satisfying (and hearty) meal, then you should try Polish Potato Pancakes. Also known as Placki Ziemniaczane, this potato pancake only takes a total of 25 minutes for both the prep and the cooking. This would be the perfect option for breakfast as well as side appetizer.
This sweet potato pancake recipe is basically very simple and easy. It uses flour to make thick batter. You will also like the fact that one recipe can produce 9 pancakes. It may seem not enough for you but you will learn that 9 items are satisfying and pretty much fulfilling. Well, unless you are cooking for a lot of people – then you will need to cook more than one recipe.
- 5 pounds of potatoes. It can be 3 to 4 potatoes in medium size
- A small egg
- A small onion
- A teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- Canola oil – it is for frying
- Peel all the potatoes. Then grate them by using the fine side
- Grate the onion
- Drain the onion and potatoes
- By using a bowl, beat the egg. Then add flour, pepper, and salt until it is smooth
- Add the already drained onion and potatoes. Stir it until everything is well combined
- Heat up ¼ inch of oil in the frying pan. Use medium high heat
- Add the potato batter. Do it with ¼ measuring cup at a time
- Spread the batter with the back side of the spoon. Make sure that the pancake is ½ inch in thickness. If you are using a medium pan, you should be able to make 3 pancakes at a time
- Cook one side up to 2 or 3 minutes, max. And then turn it over.
- Remove the Polish Potato Pancakes from the pan and drain them on the paper towels
- It would be best to use a medium pan that isn’t bigger than your stove. Sure, you can use a bigger pan, but it would create an uneven heat that may result in dark pancakes on the outer edges.
- Different people have different preferences in making the potatoes. Some people prefer grating it which can be time consuming, but resulting in better texture. Some, on the other hand, like to use the blender which results in smoother and softer texture. It is basically up to you – whether you like the smooth texture or the ‘original’ one.
- A lot of people like to make the pancakes crispy (but no need to worry, the inside is soft), but some don’t fry it too crispy.
- The recipe is already sweet enough so it is already tasty when being eaten plain. However, you can serve the pancakes with applesauce or sour cream.
- According to my friend, who is a Polish, they like to eat the pancakes with cinnamon and also sugar. Sometimes, they serve the pancakes with sour cream and caviar. Again, you are free to choose whatever ways to serve the pancakes. The Polish Potato Pancakes are still tasty, anyway.