Tons of people like to enjoy flavorful and creamy dish, and this Red Beans and Rice recipe is one of the best examples. You want to enjoy the tender beans that are served with the smoky and fulfilling sausage. And it isn’t really that difficult to set up.
If you want to enjoy a warm and comforting food, especially in the cold winter days, you can definitely make this Red Beans and Rice recipe. One cooking portion is enough to serve 6 to 8 servings. It is definitely fulfilling and hearty – not to mention that it is also generous too.
- A tablespoon of veggie oil
- A cup of Basmati rice
- A medium of diced sweet onion
- A package (around 12.8 oz) of smoked Andouille Sausage. It would be better if you can slice it thin
- 2 diced of celery ribs
- A diced of green bell pepper
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- A teaspoon of hot sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons of Cajun seasoning. You want to choose the salt-free type
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 3 cans (around 15 oz) of red beans. It’s better to drain and rinse it
- Kosher salt – it is for taste
- Ground black pepper – it is also for taste. Choose the fresh one
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley leaves. It’s better to chop everything
- Use a big saucepan to cook the rice. Use 2 cups of water and then cook it based on the instructions on the package. Once it is done, set it aside.
- By using the big stockpot (you can also use the Dutch oven), heat the veggie oil with a medium heat. You can work in batches by adding the sausages first. Cook it and frequently stir it. Wait until the sausage turns light brown (which takes around 3 minutes to 4 minutes, max). Then set it aside.
- By this stage, you can add celery, bell pepper, and onion. Cook them and stir occasionally. Everything should be tender and it takes around 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, Cajun seasoning, and garlic. Stir everything thoroughly so it smells good. It takes around a minute
- Add the chicken stock, bay leaf, red beans, hot sauce, and the sausage. Stir everything thoroughly and then season with pepper and salt to your preferred taste.
- Let it boil and then cover it. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes. Then uncover it and let it continue to simmer. It should be reduced, which takes around 15 minutes.
- Mash the beans with the wooden spoon until it thickens slightly. If you want to, you can add another pepper and salt.
- At this point, you can serve it. Top it with rice. Use parsley for the garnish, if you want to.
Some people may add the beans by the end of the cooking, especially if they like it hard. But if you want the sauce and the cream to seep into the beans, leading to a richer flavor, then add the beans early and let it simmer with the broth. But feel free to have any variation of Red Beans and Rice recipe that you want – it will remain tasty, anyway!